When I told family and friends that we were going to live on our boat and sail across the Atlantic, they said things like “wow, you’re going to have an amazing time” , “you’ll be living the dream”, I thought, yes but living on a 42ft yacht boat and sailing isn’t all G & T ‘s and sunbathing!
This is what it’s really like:
- No washing for days.
- Washing your clothes in a tiny sink.
- Cooking when the boat is rolling.
- Feeling sick all day and night.
- No sleep because you’ve had to do a sail change in the middle of the night.
- Considering if you can drink the water.
- Thinking before you switch a light on.
- No TV.
- No internet – omg I hear you gasp!
I’ve just finished a 4-hour watch while sailing from Tenerife to Cape Verde and there are only 3 positives from that short period:
- The dolphins that visit every day and at three in the morning.
- The stars in the sky that are just brighter than you’ve ever seen.
- The phosphorescence that lights up the sea and cannot be described in words.
That’s why I AM living the dream x